I have to laugh at this, my phone was going off constantly this morning,
and I was thinking "I don't have this much email normally!"  Looked over
the discussion and thought, "didn't this discussion happen recently?"

It was something I was randomly thinking about one day too, but really
plain-text over http isn't really what's happening anyhow, and if you
want to change it, change it to ftp transport, not many people trying to
look there!  (yes that bit is a joke, but still, I don't think HTTPS
would really help a whole lot, except as someone else mentioned, you may
be able to see the packages being installed without it.)