On Fri, 30 May 2014, Erwan David wrote:
> Le 30/05/2014 21:30, Joey Hess a écrit :
> > Alfie John wrote:
> >> Taking a look at the Debian mirror list, I see none serving over HTTPS:
> >>   https://www.debian.org/mirror/list
> > https://mirrors.kernel.org/debian is the only one I know of.
> >
> > It would be good to have a few more, because there are situations where
> > debootstrap is used without debian-archive-keyring being available, and
> > recent versions of debootstrap try to use https in that situation, to at
> > least get the weak CA level of security.
> >
> Note that at least debian.org DNS is segned by DNSSEC and DANE is used,
> which allows to check that the certificate used by a debian.org site is
> the real one.

We don't ship a DNSSEC-enabled resolver by default, and fixing THAT would
require some very careful considerations and large-scale testing.

That said, AFAIC it is a critical bug on debootstrap that it doesn't just
keel over and die very loudly when run without a trust path to verify the
downloaded packages [as usual, this means we'd need to make it possible to
provide such trust paths for the harder usecases as well].

  Henrique Holschuh