Hi,

Luis Muñoz Fuente wrote:
> I recently used clonezilla and followed these instructions:
> https://clonezilla.org/liveusb.php#linux-setup

The variation for "uEFI", i assume.

This aims at an undocumented habit of EFI implementations to look in
any FAT filesystem for a \EFI\BOOT directory with a suitable BOOT*.EFI
file and to start it, if found.
(Officially documented is to look in FAT filesystems of partitions with
MBR type 0xEF or GPT type GUID C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B.)

> I have tried to transform the debian-12.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso file into zip
> but the size has gone from 659 MiB to 1.5 GiB, [...]
> Does anyone know why this happens.

To get an answer you will have to show what you did and where you
measured the resulting size (as ZIP archive file or on the USB stick ?).

But i don't think that intermediate storage as ZIP is needed at all.

The make-bootable-by-copy trick depends on /EFI/BOOT and BOOT*.EFI files
being in the ISO or ZIP archive. A Debian netinst ISO filesystem for amd64
contains an unpacked copy of its EFI boot partition files.
(Others do too, thanks to the relentless proselytization of Pete Batard,
 the developer of program Rufus.)

So just mount the ISO:

  $ sudo mount debian-12.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso /mnt/iso
  mount: /dev/loop0 is write-protected, mounting read-only

and copy its content to the mounted USB stick.
You will perceive about 100 MB increase in size, because Linux does not
represent the hardlinks in the ISO which save some space.

The result is supposed to boot where a Clonezilla stick boots after it
was made by unpacking the ZIP archive.
Another question is how far the programs in a Debian netinst ISO are
prepared to run from a FAT filesystem and to find their files in it.

Your mileage may vary.

Illustration: The two copies of the \EFI\BOOT directory in a netinst ISO

  $ sudo mount debian-12.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso /mnt/iso
  $ find /mnt/iso/EFI/boot
  /mnt/iso/EFI/boot
  /mnt/iso/EFI/boot/bootia32.efi
  /mnt/iso/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi
  /mnt/iso/EFI/boot/grubia32.efi
  /mnt/iso/EFI/boot/grubx64.efi
  $ mount /mnt/iso/boot/grub/efi.img /mnt/fat
  $ find /mnt/fat/efi/boot | sort
  /mnt/fat/efi/boot
  /mnt/fat/efi/boot/bootia32.efi
  /mnt/fat/efi/boot/bootx64.efi