Hi,

Max Nikulin wrote:
> It happened so that I had locally a file with UEFI spec Version 2.3.1,
> Errata C June 27, 2012.
> [...]
> "12.3.3 Number and Location of System Partitions
> ... Further, UEFI implementations may allow the use of conforming FAT
> partitions which do not use the ESP GUID."
> [...]
> From my point of view it is opposed to "must be" for strict partition type
> checks.

It is not forbidden, indeed. But it is not guaranteed that it works.
So if the boot success were not covered by tradition, it would be a
case of "your mileage may vary".

Another problem with the statement is that it only talks of GUID and
thus of GPT partitioning, while the specs allow MBR partitioning too.
It needs a bit of semantical stretching to let it cover the whole specs.

> Later versions may have some updates.

The statement is still in UEFI 2.8 as 13.3.3.

> Some details are in 12.3.4.2 Diskette
> USB pen drive is not a diskette, but it increases probability that
> superfloppy formatting style is supported. Of course, singe FAT partition is
> more portable.

If that's a quote from the specs, then it isn't in UEFI 2.8 any more.
If it's a statement by you, then i agree that there is a chance for
unpartitioned USB sticks to work.
You may also see implementations which boot via the El Torito boot
catalog from USB stick and via a partition table from optical media.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas