Greg Folkert wrote:

Apparently, the best is to replace crypt based passwords with RSA
based, and use longer passwords.

Actually, best actual reasonable password is: to not use one

I've noticed that using Debian without a root password requires some work.

I'm comfortable in _my_ circumstances that anyone with physical access owns it anyway. Requiring a root password to get to single-user is a minor incovenience with several easy ways round it.

Worse, if a filesystemcheck fails and drops you to single-user mode and you don't have a root passwd then you're stuffed.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait