On Thursday 13 June 2002 14:54, Ivo Wever wrote:
> Some people advise to repeat this procedure several times. Can anyone
> explain why? I see no reason why one pass doesn't suffice.

IIRC, this has to do with minor mis-calibrations of the read/write heads
that may leave tiny traces of the old data readable with highly
sensitive and expensive equipment. Professional erase tools like the
one that was part of the PGP suite recommend something like 64 passes
with different patterns as "secure".

--
Embedded Linux -- True multitasking!
TWO TOASTS AT THE SAME TIME!