On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 17:01, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 15:47, Carlos Laviola wrote:
> > [ Please Cc me on replies;  I'm not subscribed to debian-user. ]
> >
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > I have a Sony SDT-7000 tape drive that can, theoretically, record up to
> > 8 Gb of data on a DDS2 tape.  However, I can only get it to store 4 Gb
> > on any DDS2 tape I try (4 Gb == max for DDS1, iirc).
> >
> > Anyway, anyone has info on this?  Have you experienced this problem
> > before?
> >
> > Here's the logs from the kernel bootup:
> [snip]
>
> http://www.neutronexpress.com/prod.cfm/36522/SONY/SDT-D7000/ME
>
> "Individual Tape Capacity (Compressed) :   8 GB"
> "Misc Features :   Built-in Hardware Compression"
>
> http://www.neutronexpress.com/prod.cfm/85103/SONY/SDT-7000/BM
> "Individual Tape Capacity (Compressed) :   8 GB"
>
> Note that the ME variant has hardware compression but the BM
> variant does not.
>
> Either way, the native capacity is 4GB.  So, maybe gzip is
> still your friend...

http://www.pacificdata.com/sdt7000.html
But this site says "* 16GB with hardware data compression".
Most confusing...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]     |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81 |
| "I have created a government of whirled peas..."        |
|   Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, 12-May-2002,                   |
!   CNN, Larry King Live                                  |