I was playing around with fonts on Mozilla today, and noticed a number
of odd things.  I'd be curious if anyone can explain a bit more about
what is going on.

1. I can't find anything that controls the fonts used in the browser
menu bar and menus.  It looks as if the same font may be used on
displayed pages too, for example as the value of a button (e.g., "Go
To Download Page" button on the bottom of Debian package pages).
The font I'm getting is not too legible.

2. The list of fonts appearing in the font drop downs of Mozilla
preferences differs from that shown through xfontsel.  For example,
Mozilla shows a bunch of Agfa fonts, but I don't think I have them on
my system.  Possibly this is just the difference between abbreviated
and full names, but I see no obvious candidates, and there are several
such discrepancies.

3. enabling_truetype.html in the package documentation describes how
to enable true type, but I think one of the Debian preferences already
has it enabled.  At any rate I edited the indicated file, and it's
definitely working now.  I'm not sure what order all the *.js files
gets parsed, or if the first or last setting of an option wins.
Anybody know?

4. I set up XFree86 to use truetype fonts awhile ago, and have them in
a non-standard location that the XFree86-4 config file points to.  I
notice Debian sets some preference paths for true type fonts, and I
also have true type stuff in that location.  I'm not sure if this is
causing any trouble or not.  Should I add my custom path to the
prefs.

5. This leads to the general question of whether Mozilla has some kind
of internal font model or mechanism that is separate from XFree's.

This is more a curiosity than a big problem, but if anyone knows about
this I'd like to know.  I don't aspire to become a great font expert
or to read through the source code for XFree86 and Mozilla (!).

I'm running woody under KDE.  The Gnome stuff is also on my system.
The machine also has various MS systems, from which I got the TT
fonts.  xfontsel says I have about 9500 fonts, which should be
adequate :)

Mozilla 0.9.9
KDE 2.2.2
XFree86 4.10
(standard woody levels)

P.S. The Mozilla docs refer to user.js for preferences, but there
doesn't seem to be any such file.  I've just been editing prefs.js.