On (24/06/03 01:20), Kevin McKinley wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:04:47 +0100
> Clive Menzies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > When I did this, it took the values and reset them to to the default
> > values.  So having gone around in circles more than once, I tried just
> > booting without update grub and it worked fine.  Is there a flag in
> > menu.lst that stops it resetting?
>
> I'm not aware of a flag to reset to defaults.
>
> Did you delete any of the lines in menu.lst, or did you just edit them for
> your post?
No I'm sure that I didn't delete anything.  I was aware that I shouldn't
do anything other than edit the drive designations.

> Excerpt from /sbin/update-grub:
>
> ># Magic markers we use
> >start="### BEGIN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST"
> >end="### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST"
> >
> >startopt="## ## Start Default Options ##"
> >endopt="## ## End Default Options ##"
>
> I'm guessing you removed one or more of the "magic markers", so update-grub
> restored the defaults.
>
> I don't try to trim the file, I just edit the lines beginning with only one
> hash and leave the rest alone.

The two PC's in question are used by my partner and sons (I'm on a G4
using yaboot) - so I am reluctant to go and muck about with the set-up
which is working fine - I have a history of turning a drama into a
crisis;)

However, I would like to try this again.  I'll
have to wait until I get the opportunity to convert some other windows
PC to Debian.... although one of the server's on our network is
non-critical (currently booting from LILO), so I guess I could experiment
with that ;)  Not a high priority at present but maybe soon ...

Thanks for your help

Clive