Hi

Setting up vsftp should be a snap. Just follow the howto. Right. With listen=YES in the .conf file and try to ftp the server from another system on my network, I get:

On the server:
root@xxxxx2:/etc# service vsftpd start
Started FTP server: vsftpd

Note: ps xaf doesn't show vsftpd to be running

On the client

root@xxxxxx1:/etc# ftp xxxxxx2
Connected to xxxxxx2.home.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
ftp>

with listen=NO an attempt to restart on the server resulted in the following:

root@/xxxxx2: /etc# service vsftpd restart
Stopping FTP server: No /usr/bin/vsftpd found running. None killed.
vsftpd.
/etc/vsftpd.conf: listen disabled - service will not start.

In short neither inet.d start or standalone start seems to work. *The .conf file is right out of the documentation. *

These are both Debian Squeeze systems that are up to date.

Help will be sincerely appreciated.

Gary R