> ...but how would one print with a word processor written to look for the
> printer on a printer port under the Ethernet suggestion below?
> Karen

Not sure whether I understood you well. But on most systems, one use
CUPS to manage printing stuff. You just have to add your ethernet
printer to the printer list and then you can print from any application.

About open source drivers, in some countries, you can cancel a sale
within a limited period of time at no cost. In others, you just have to
state that the printer is not working on your system to get a refund.
Why not just buy a printer, try the different drivers and see if it
requires some binary blobs? With HP printers for instance, you can try
hplib. If it is working, then you are not using binary blobs. If it says
you need to run hp-setup, then you most likely need one of these. But
even there, you can try other drivers (foomatic for instance) which
could provide an alternative (free) driver for your printer... I have an
HP printer which would have required to install HP blobs, but it works
very well with foomatic (postscript): no blobs on my computer. :)