Am Montag, 23. Juli 2012 schrieb green:
> Stan Hoeppner wrote at 2012-07-23 06:59 -0500:
> > On 7/23/2012 6:17 AM, Teemu Likonen wrote:
> > > I suggest buying a PostScript printer with ethernet connection.
> >
> > LEXMARK E260dn, monochrome laser:
> I purchased a Lexmark E360dn, hoping for good Linux support.  It prints
> nicely, but does not give a good experience with regard to paper type
> and tray selection.  The only problem, as far as I can tell, is that
> there is no correct PPD file: even the PPD provided by Lexmark is
> broken.  I tried writing one (PPDC), but did not have the time to
> learn the syntax, etc (remotely deployed printer).  With that fixed, I
> *think* it would work perfectly.
>
> I do wish there were more hardware manufacturers with a real interest
> in making their products work well with Linux.  HP is the best I have
> seen: http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/recommended.html

I agree.

I have an HP OfficeJet 5610 multi function device and just everything
worked out of the box. Printing, scanning and I think even faxing. As well
as ink status display.

Whats more, I can let this inkjet sit here for months and then print as if
nothing happens. The dealer told me its capable to pull the ink back so
that it doesn´t dry inside the printer head.

I can also refill a ink cartridge about five times. Only think is teaching
the printer to accept it as full again. You need to cover some pins for
that. But since printing works I usually just accept that ink status
display is bogus.

I looked what files are in hplip, hplip-data, hplip-gui and printer-
driver-hpcups and found no binary blob in there. So if there is none
within the printer driver file itself, I bet its all open source here.

merkaba:~> LANG=C apt-cache search hplip binary
merkaba:~> LANG=C apt-cache search hplip firmware
printer-driver-hpijs - HP Linux Printing and Imaging - gs IJS driver
(hpijs)
merkaba:~> LANG=C apt-cache show printer-driver-hpijs
Package: printer-driver-hpijs
Source: hplip
Version: 3.12.6-3
Installed-Size: 1821
Maintainer: Debian HPIJS and HPLIP maintainers <[…]>
Architecture: amd64
Replaces: hpijs (<< 3.11.10-1ubuntu2)
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4), libdbus-1-3 (>= 1.0.2), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1),
libhpmud0 (= 3.12.6-3), libjpeg8 (>= 8c), libssl1.0.0 (>= 1.0.0),
libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1)
Recommends: ghostscript, cups (>= 1.4.0) | cupsddk | hpijs-ppds, foomatic-
filters
Suggests: hplip, hpijs-ppds, hplip-doc
Breaks: hpijs (<< 3.11.10-1ubuntu2)
Description-en: HP Linux Printing and Imaging - gs IJS driver (hpijs)
 This package contains an IJS printer driver for Ghostscript, which
 adds support for most inkjet printers and some LaserJet printers
 manufactured by HP.  It is also required for HPLIP fax support.
 .
 The Debian package of hpijs includes the so-called rss patch, to use
 pure black ink instead of composite black in printers that don't do
 color map conversion in firmware.
 .
 HPIJS can take advantage of Ghostscript IJS KRGB support when
 available, to enhance black printing on printers that do color
 map conversion in firmware and are thus not affected by the old
 rss patch.
 .
 Users of the CUPS printing system are advised to also install the
 hplip package, and use the hp CUPS backend to send data to the printer.
 HPLIP supports USB, networked and parallel-port devices, and enables
 extended HPIJS functionality such as border-less printing.
 Selecting any hpijs ppd in CUPS will use hpijs automatically.
 .
 HPIJS is meant to be used through the foomatic system (see the
 foomatic-filters package).
Homepage: http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

Hmmm, still no firmware.

Also the hpijs-ppds package doesn´t contain some.

So I would have a closer look as for which models a firmware is needed.
After all I can see here, mine works without – except the firmware which
resides in the printer itself.

Thanks,