On Sun 29 Jul 2012 at 14:11:22 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 12:29:22 +0100, Brian wrote:
>
> > On Sat 28 Jul 2012 at 15:45:44 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> >
> >> Does your printer integrate a PDF interprerter? The ones I managed do
> >> not, just PCL6 and PostScript.
> >
> > No, it does not. Does it need to? This subthread began with the
> > statement that
> >
> >    > . . . . a PS printer is also a PDF printer.
> >
> > so, if we are to accept that, having one isn't important.
>
> No? Then I wonder why my company paid the above mentioned $200-300 for
> having a PS module installed in their printers ;-)

Don't ask me. I don't understand it either! Not for sending a PDF file
directly to the printer, anyway.

> > Incidentally, nobody sends PCL6 directly to a printer,
>
> I think "nobody" sounds too wide... maybe "it's not usual" but when you
> only have a PCL6 capable printer and one file fails to print with the
> usual printing system (File → print → printer driver), I assure you will
> try with any option that is available.

A reasonable point. The print file would have to be already formatted in
PCL to get a useful output when sent directly to the printer. Convert
with Ghostscript, I suppose. Having just done exactly that successfully,
I'll have to withdraw the claim of 'nobody'. :)