> (if (>= emacs-major-version 20)
>     (menu-bar-mode -1))

I recommend testing (fboundp 'menu-bar-mode) instead.

> (if (>= emacs-major-version 21)
>     (if window-system
>         (tool-bar-mode -1)))

And here I recommend testing (fboundp 'tool-bar-mode) and calling the
function regardless of window-system.

> (if (>= emacs-major-version 22)
>     (progn
>       ;; Have *Buffer List* use old-style header without white on green
> highlight.
>       (setq Buffer-menu-use-header-line nil)

You can `setq' this regardless of emacs-major-version (older versions
will simply ignore it).

>       ;; Disable dark blue on dark background in minibuffer.
>       (set-face-foreground 'minibuffer-prompt nil)))

The better fix is to explain to Emacs that your tty background is dark
by setting `frame-background-mode' (either via Customize or if you want
to use plain Lisp, you'll have to not only `setq' the var but also call
(frame-set-background-mode (selected-frame)) afterwards).

> (if (>= emacs-major-version 23)
>     (progn
>       (setq transient-mark-mode nil)
>       (setq line-move-visual nil)
>       (setq search-whitespace-regexp nil)
>       (setq split-width-threshold nil)))

Same as Buffer-menu-use-header-line: no need to test emacs-major-version.

> ;; Disable nasty white on green highlighting in electric-buffer-mode.

I suspect that after setting frame-background-mode some of those faces
will be less nasty.  Of course, you may still dislike them.

> ;; Stop the annoying question about exiting with shell processes still
> running.
> (eval-after-load 'shell
>   '(add-hook 'comint-exec-hook
>            '(lambda ()
>               (set-process-query-on-exit-flag (get-process "shell") nil))))

I recommend you don't quote your lambda expressions.

        Stefan