Le 31.01.2013 14:47, Ralf Mardorf a écrit :
On Thu, 2013-01-31 at 13:29 +0100, berenger.mo...@neutralite.org wrote:
_ easier to remove

No, self compiled is as easy to remove as a package

Of course, there are the "make uninstall" & co commands, but can you use them with a centralized package manager software with a GUI like aptitude or synaptics? I do not think so. I think you need to run a terminal in the directory where you have the right makefile to run a command. I know that running commands is easy. At least, for me. But not for many users.

_ easier to maintain

No, simply build a package
But in this situation, you are not using the usual "./configure && make && make install", you add at least 1 step ;)
Just joking, of course. You are true, I've forgot that option.

But when the option to build a package exists, I've noticed that often, there is a package, too, and that it's ea

_ less dependencies (no need to install all *-dev packages of their
dependencies, and their own dependencies, same for makefile

The dependencies for the build package or directly installed software
are the same, just for compiling you need headers.
Not everyone is using autotools (and so, configure files), and so you have sometimes to install makefiles generators, such as cmake. I do not often compile external stuff myself, but for now, I think I have seen more often cmake than configure, speaking about that. And, to be honest, I like that, because it's far easier, for the user (colored logs, easy to read missing dependencies) and for developers (the CMakeLists.txt syntax is really easy to use, and I were able to read it and fix an error the first time I've seen it. For configure stuff, I still have no idea about how it is possible to create/maintain those things.). Of course, it is only my opinion, and many people probably think configure is better. This is not the subject here, I was just saying that I think that configure is "loosing terrain".

But you are technically right: the only dependencies are the development headers of the libraries the software would need anyway.

It's a bad habit of
Debian to separate software into app, libs and headers and often it does
cause serious issues, just take a look at the jack devel mailing list
archive. People don't care about bloated DEs, but they care about some bytes to have everything linked correctly, by one package, two policies
that don't fit together.

No, I worry a lot about bloated DE, this is why I does not use any DE (but I use graphical environment anyway, of course), and I do not need most -dev packages. So, separating is a good idea for me. Currently, if I remove all stuff I have in libdevel, which a normal user would do, it would free 471MB. Yes, I know, it's nothing nowadays... but I still have an old computer with HD of 80GB. When I get it (2 years ago), the HD was a 10GB. On 10GB, 470M are not nothing.
Also, it allows to reduce space used on installation medias.

Except the point of HD space, there is also the problem of bandwidth. I know that headers have a high compression ratio, since they are text files, but I think on the scale of debian, that might be quite huge to send.

So, do not say "bad habit", just "habit" ;)

OT:
I would like to know what kind of issue separating them might cause. I'm surprised that this is even possible, since when you install a dev file, it is only the headers corresponding to the binary you already have installed? Except if you force apt(itude) to install them in different versions than the installed one (which would break the package and so apt(itude) would not let you do that) I do not see how something can be broken by splitting dev/bin packages?