On Jo, 31 ian 13, 14:47:14, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-01-31 at 13:29 +0100, berenger.mo...@neutralite.org wrote:
> > _ easier to remove
>
> No, self compiled is as easy to remove as a package

You are assuming that both 'make install' and 'make uninstall' are
correct and maintained. At least for Debian I know there are ongoing
(automated) efforts to make sure packages install/uninstall correctly
(piuparts).

> > _ easier to maintain
>
> No, simply build a package

Which is an additional step. And you also have to watch for security
problems yourself. Now add to this that upstreams might not fix security
issues in older versions (if they don't do stable releases) you end up
in the situation where you are forced to upgrade to a newer version
(including many build dependencies, just for fun) or backport the
security patch yourself. Good luck.

> > _ tried by other (at least, by people who made them)
>
> Correct, they are tested by the community, the people who build the
> packages often don't test their packages

Even if the Maintainer doesn't test own packages[1], Debian has also a
lot of automated tests. In case of obvious grave problems it is even
impossible to upload the package (automatic rejections).

[1] most Maintainers take over the maintenance of a package because they
are using it themselves.

> > _ less dependencies (no need to install all *-dev packages of their
> > dependencies, and their own dependencies, same for makefile
>
> The dependencies for the build package or directly installed software
> are the same, just for compiling you need headers. It's a bad habit of
> Debian to separate software into app, libs and headers and often it does
> cause serious issues, just take a look at the jack devel mailing list
> archive.

I don't think so. I see no reason to have development headers installed
on my Raspberry Pi running from a 2G SD card.

> People don't care about bloated DEs, but they care about some
> bytes to have everything linked correctly, by one package, two policies
> that don't fit together.

As I've already pointed out to you in a different thread, installing
without a DE is very easy. That is, if you don't like any of the 4
(four) choices offered[2]. Gnome is just a default, and it's easily
changed.

[2] and this is just stable and wheezy. Unstable already has razor-qt,
which looks promising if you like/need QT.

Kind regards,
Andrei