On 20 Oct 2003, Alan Chandler wrote:
> On Monday 20 October 2003 09:02, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>
> > I've realized recently that I'm inadvertently sending out lots of spam.
> > I'd obviously wish to prevent this but how? I've been to the site you
> > recommend but I find the information there too complex for me to be sure
> > how to do it; it seems to be aimed at sysadmins of large sites and is
> > well above the head of a single user like me. I downloaded a small perl
> > script (Mail-SPF-Query-1.6) but I'm not clear how to use it. A simple
> > guide for the uninitiated would be useful.
>
> Needs some more details, like why do you think you are sending out spam, what
> is your mail server (MTA) thats doing it?
>
> If you have a badly configured MTA, it can act as a mail relay for others
> (normally a mail server has mail coming in to deliver to local users -
> possibly on a local lan, or mail going out from local users to the outside
> world - what you want to prevent is mail coming and and being send out
> again).  Most have simple ways of doing that.

I'm using exim4 now, having just changed from exim3, but it happens with
both of them. I hadn't changed any settings in ages so it can hardly be
the configuration. I'm not on a network; just a single user with a
dialup connection. I use spamprobe as a filter.

The problem has appeared in the last few weeks, since when I've been
seeing an increasing number of messages to say that outgoing mail has
not been delivered (see below for some examples). None of these are
messages I have sent myself (obviously). The failures are only a small
subset of the emails that are being sent, presumably "successfully",
because when I ran mailq this morning there were 20 or 30 spam messages
waiting to go (I deleted them manually, of course). I looked at these
before deleting them; they were a very mixed bunch indeed, so it can
hardly be just one spammer.

Some sample message failures: