On 10/3/2014 9:52 PM, Joel Rees wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 9:54 AM, Jerry Stuckle <jstuc...@attglobal.net> wrote:
>> On 10/3/2014 8:19 PM, Joel Rees wrote:

>>> If, for some reason, you can't get a breakout box, you may be able to
>>> do basic tests on the cable with a multimeter (ohm-meter or
>>> connectivity function), the pin diagrams, some patience, and maybe an
>>> extra pair of hands (if you can't find small-mouth alligator clips or
>>> pin clips). Just don't tell whoever handles requisitions/budget unless
>>> they understand that patience costs time and money when doing things
>>> like this. You have to be really careful to keep the leads from
>>> slipping, and not noticing a slipped lead can cost hours of
>>> unnecessary work.And there are tests you really don't want to try
>>> without a breakout box or the equivalent.
>>>

>> Why couldn't he?  They're cheap, i.e.
>> http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_14285_-1.
>>
>> Note if he's using DB9 connectors he would need a pair of DB9-DB25
>> connectors.  But they are also cheap.
>
> Uhm, maybe he has a multimeter now, and doesn't want to wait for
> overnight shipping or take the time to run down to a supply house
> downtown or even wait for said supply house to do a same-day delivery.
>
> Or maybe finances at the company are really, really tight right at the moment.
>
> Now, of course, if the supply house is next door, and his company is
> okay with people bringing in tools paid for out-of-pocket, going and
> getting it would be a good excuse to take a half-hour break anyway
> (assuming no lines at the supply house).
>
> My point was simply that connectivity checks don't need a breakout box.
>
> Breakout boxes do make them more convenient, and quicker, and give
> more reliable results. Not to mention enabling more in-depth testing,
> especially if you have an oscilloscope with data capture.
>
> I'm not arguing with you on this one, Jerry, I was just offering an
> alternative. Not a great alternative, but maybe a useful one.

If his company cannot afford $9.95 + shipping for a breakout box, then
that company is in deep crap anyway.  And if he's a consultant and can't
afford the basic tools to do his job, he shouldn't be in the business.
And he's already worked on this much more than overnight (or even
second-day) delivery would have caused a delay.

An oscilloscope (with or without data capture) is much more expensive,
and still can't monitor all of the lines concurrently - at least unless
you have an 8 channel scope (*very expensive*).  And a multimeter will
work for one wire at a time - if you have access to the lines.  But if
he has molded plugs and no access to the interior connections of the
terminal or the computer, neither a multimeter nor an oscilloscope will
be any good.

It's all about having the *right tools* to do the job.  In this case the
right tool is inexpensive and easily obtainable.

P.S. As I've told you before - there is no need to copy me.  I am
subscribed to the mailing list.

Jerry
Jerry