On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 9:41 AM, James Allsopp
<jamesaalls...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Just reinstalled debian and are having lots of problems getting the sound to
> work through HDMI. I had it working but now it has just stopped. I'm
> watching the screen through the same HDMI so I presume hardware is good.

What kind of hardware is it?  You've said "nvidia" but not which model.

> Here's my setup as described by aplay;
> james@Hawaiian:~$ aplay -L

The fact that aplay -L never mentions "NVidia" in the CARD= sections
should tell you that you have a problem.

Does your kernel see an audio device associated with your card?  It
should look something like this in lspci:

eddie% lspci | grep -i nvidia
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 [GeForce
GT 640] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK107 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)

Whatever you have for your PCI IDs for your graphics card, there
should be a .1 device for the Audio Controller portion.

If you don't see that, you may have an older card that doesn't support
directing audio to HDMI with software.  The older cards typically
require a wire to connect the SPDIF output from the motherboard (or
other) sound card to an SPDIF input on the graphics card.  If you have
that kind of card, check your cabling.

Eric