On Monday 27 July 2015 03:46:31 David Bruce wrote:
> I would still welcome any suggestions or insights as to why the 6.03
> installer works with my home router, but 8.1 does not.

In one word, drivers.

Also, have you checksum checked the net install with firmware disk?

Another suggestion, install Wheezy for now.  It is going to have long term
support, so will be good for getting on for three years.  But you'll still
need the unofficial CD.

I too regret the nice easy almost default install.  But the decision was made
only to include free software in the official install CD.

Another approach I have often taken with success (though I haven't tried it
with Jessie): open the box.  Put in an old network card, that is bound to
have free drivers.  Install the OS.  Download and install the drivers for the
Ethernet and wireless cards already there.  Take out the old card so that it
is available for next time.

Hope something here helps,
Lisi