Hi,

Lisi Reisz wrote:
> But what does "resp." mean?

I guess there is something wrong with my use of "respectively".
Google ... ahum ...

Obviously an inappropriate use inspired by german language where
the translation "beziehungsweise" is used to express alternatives
depending on different perspectives.
The english dictionaries rather define it for emphasizing 1:1
relations between tuples. (This we do in math, not in prose.)

Actually there seem to be no single-word translations for
"respectively" and "beziehungsweise". So they met in the
spare parts box and married.
This way our german-english dictionaries offer translations as
reliable as Monty Python's hungarian phrasebook.

It is becoming an international infection (mainly led by us
germans but also with french people involved):
http://ell.stackexchange.com/questions/6491/what-does-resp-mean-in-these-sentences

But hey ! To quote a mail footer from debian-cd list:
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
 English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on
 occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them
 unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."  -- James D. Nicoll

So:
"bzw." is a really useful word. Get it and use it whenever
you want to point to a fork in your thoughts.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas