On Monday 27 July 2015 16:53:14 Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> "The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
>  English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words;
> on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
> them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."  -- James D.
> Nicoll
>
> So:
> "bzw." is a really useful word. Get it and use it whenever
> you want to point to a fork in your thoughts.

I'm not defending the purity of anything.  The English language is a right
mish-mash of Latin, French, German, Norse, Hindi etc..  But none-the-less, it
improves comprehensibility if one sticks roughly to the language in which one
is speaking/writing.

If you do use foreign words, you need to be willing to explain them when
asked, as you were by Chris.

I'm still not clear on the meaning of bzw, nor in what way its meaning differs
from "or".  So I shall continue to use "or". ;-)

Lisi