On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 3:27 AM, John L. Ries <jr...@salford-systems.com> wrote:
> I understand the desire to put "free software first" and segregate out
> packages that don't meet the standard, but if a free driver is not available
> for one's hardware, then I figure the least Debian could do is to offer to
> install a "non-free" one (purists should be free to change the config to
> block them categorically, so they get what they want).
>
> Ideals are good, but one still has to deal with reality.

You know, a year ago, I'd have said something like

http://www.fedoraproject.org
http://www.linuxmint.com

Or, hey, get an Android device.

Or, gettamac still stands as a reasonable option.

But I guess, in the new Debian community, the social contract no longer matters.

> --------------------------|
> John L. Ries              |
> Salford Systems           |
> Phone: (619)543-8880 x107 |
> or     (435)867-8885      |
> --------------------------|
>

> On Mon, 27 Jul 2015, Michael Fothergill wrote:
>

>> On 27 July 2015 at 18:27, Mark Allums <m...@allums.xyz> wrote:
>>       On 07/27/2015 08:46 AM, Hans wrote:
>>             Am Montag, 27. Juli 2015, 08:13:29 schrieb john
>>             vera:
>>
>>                         In one word, drivers.
>>

>>       Don't we mean: firmware.  Nonfree firmware was removed from
>>       Debian main for some silly reason.  A lot of hardware needs it
>>       to function.
>>

>> I agree.  Having to install the firmware manually to get X11 working is a
>> bit Arthur Tuttlesque.
>>
>> Why not go the whole hog and install Gentoo instead?
>>
>> MF

Well, you get what you pay for. If you want the free beer, you have to
stand in line, and you have to put up with the advertising, and  with
all that comes with the free beer.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful when you look at conspiracy.
Arm yourself with knowledge of yourself, as well:
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/2011/10/conspiracy-theories.html