On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 7:46 AM, Stephen Powell <zlinux...@wowway.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jul 2015 06:48:48 -0400 (EDT), Joel Rees wrote:
>>
>> I also sometimes get applications I had closed coming back when I log back
>> in.
>>
>> XFCE sometimes gets its states wedged.
>>
>> There is a command I sometimes used to use to reset the wedged state
>> when the title/menubar disappeared. I'm not remembering it right now.
>> I'm wondering whether it might have worked for this case, as well. I
>> think it was
>>
>>     xfwm4 --replace
>>
>> (This is not really the purpose of the command, as I understand it,
>> but it seems to clear out some of the wedged stuff. See xfwm4 --help
>> for more information.)
>
> I tried it.  It locked up my whole X session!  I had to switch to a text
> console and restart lightdm with
>
>    /etc/init.d/lightdm restart
>
> to recover.  And it didn't solve the problem.  As soon as I reinstalled
> abiword, it started autostarting again at each login.  Thanks for trying.

Okay, so that one doesn't work here. Or maybe it can't be used that
way any more. Sorry to put you to the trouble.

You might also try directly (with rm or vi) clearing the session
caches, if you can figure out where they are.

Hmm. You might look at ~/.cache/sessions/xf* . Just be sure you log
out of your X11 session before you modify those. (virtual console, or
logged in as a different user that can sudo -u, etc.)

The problem is, I am sure, in the interplay of the "keep your session"
option on the logout dialog with applications that don't know how to
save their sessions, or use an older API to do it. It's probably worth
a bug report to the Abiword (was it?) project, if you have the time.
Or at least a question to their user list. And/or the XFCE list,
although I think I'd start at he Abiword lists.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful when you look at conspiracy.
Arm yourself with knowledge of yourself, as well:
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/2011/10/conspiracy-theories.html