On Thursday 03 December 2015 02:41:57 Nicolas George wrote:

> Le duodi 12 frimaire, an CCXXIV, Gene Heskett a écrit :
> >                    But it bugs the heck out of me that the guy/gal
> > doing the codeing doesn't watch the user lists, so it all has to
> > wait on someone qualified enough to wade thru the bug reporter forms
> > and actually file the bug.
>
> Developer time is valuable.
>
> >                       Thats quite often a week or more additional
> > delay before they are aware that there really is a problem.
>
> Regarding support with guaranteed reaction time, you get exactly your
> money's worth: 0.
>
> > In the meantime, its hit another 200 users, discouraging them from
> > ever touching linux again.
>
> If these people are so easily discouraged, and especially definitively
> discouraged, they probably belong to the kind of people who only ever
> complain and never contribute back. Maybe the community is better
> without them.
>
> >       Unfortunately, the oar I steer this ship with could be swapped
> > for a toothpick and have exactly the same result.
>
> Libre Software development is a meritocracy, not a democracy. Your oar
> is exactly how large you make it. That means Linus' is larger than
> yours, of course, and that is only right. I am still writing about
> steering oar.
>
> Regards,

Well, for me that coding oar is quite large, but I write the huge
majority of the code I write these days in RS274c, aka g-code to run cnc
machines.  I have a lathe and 2 milling machines, all run by LinuxCNC.

You would be amazed at what can be done in 200 lines of g-code.  The good
stuff I'll put up on my web site from time to time, but generally, I'll
never see a 100 count in the total downloads column in the logs.

But I am quite cognizant of the difference in importance to the linux
community.  To you, we are at best fringe users.  And thats ok. But we
are here, and we appreciate the stability of linux.

Amazingly, because I do share the experience on that mailing list,
frustrations and all, I am apparently well read there, picking up an
occasional order of flowers from some of the rest because I'm
so "colorfull".  Makes this old fart think he is appreciated.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)