On 2/17/2016 5:34 PM, David Wright wrote:
On Wed 17 Feb 2016 at 14:07:30 (-0600), Richard Owlett wrote:
[snip]
Depends on what you consider to be 'fast'. Is 120K/s fast?

This laptop has 2255 packages on it, the total download size of which
is about 3GB. At a throughput of 120KB/s, that'd be about 7 hours.
The base system is nothing like that size of course, and you can build
up the system gradually. Just make sure to keep/backup the .deb files.

Compared to what?
I recall loading the OS from paper tape. We *DID* have a high speed
reader after all <GRIN>

That'd be about 1KB/s with 9-track perhaps.

Did you notice I said PAPER tap, not magnetic ;>

More seriously use https://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/ to select an
appropriate vendor. I originally did that because all the
connectivity I had was a 56k dial-up line.

That's bits/s of course, and not even a throughput either.

Your point? <LOL>

Cheers,
David.