On 05/21/2017 07:24 PM, Anil Duggirala wrote:
> Thanks everyone for your responses. I did not expect such quick and full
> response. I also really don't believe it has anything to do with
> partitioning (Debian deleted the partitions and created exactly
> corresponding partitions with guided partitioning).
> More info: When I installed initially with LXDE, I had horrible graphics
> and no touchpad, upon installing the Linux-image from backports (4.9),
> these problems were resolved. I have tried installing Linux-image 4.9
> from backports (using the command line) now again, the problem persists.
> However, in the debian-laptop users list, I guy who said he has the
> exact same laptop (Asus X441SA) said he is running Gnome-Classic
> (Gnome), I have tried asking him if he got this problem but have
> received no response from him.
> All commands outputs here are in a new installation (I have installed 3
> times now), with the regular kernel (3.16)
> Outputs:
> inxi commands say 'command not found'
> lspci .... :
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Device
> [8086:22b1] (rev 35)
> Subsystem: ASUSTek Computer Inc. Device [1043:1290]
> 00:0b.0 Signa processing controller [1180]: Intel Corporation Device
> [8086:22dc] (rev 35)
> Subsystem: ASUSTek Computer Inc. Device [1043:1290]
> 00:13.0 SATA Controller [0106]: Intel Corporation Device [8086:22a3]
> (rev 35)
>
> I have pasted Xorg log at https://paste.debian.net/933539
>
> Should I just try Mate or XFCE?? is it possible that works?
>
> thanks a lot,

Sorry about the side conversation on partitioning.  Clearly your problem
is not the partitioning scheme.  As Felix found, the key information in
lspci output is the device id (8086:22b1) for your graphics controller
is not supported in the stable distribution of Debian.  It is, however,
supported in the Stretch distribution.  I am running Stretch currently,
and it is a good working distribution, with the vast majority of major
bugs already worked out of it.  You should be able to run Stretch
without problems.  I concur with Felix, install Stretch and enjoy :)

--
73's,
WB5VQX -- The Very Quick X-ray