On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 9:51 AM, Fungi4All <fungil...@protonmail.com> wrote:

> The only thing to fear is stability, or too much of it.  I have run
> stretch and sid (testing and unstable currently) and I get a sense that sid
> is even lighter and more stable in hardware resources.  With all the
> fooling around I do I have yet to see anything break or freeze or do
> anything unexpected in sid.  Stretch is so stable it is boring :)   Now
> Jessie, that is a really unstable system ;b  .... even your graphics don't
> like it.

I have run sid (unstable) for years (a decade? more?), and although there's
often little breakages (uh oh, can't install Firefox; wait a day and a
half; okay, all better now, it's installed), I can only recall one time (8
years ago? 10?) when the breakage was serious enough that it actually
borked my box so I couldn't do anything with it. But even that, as I
recall, only had me broken a day or so, as I either manually fixed it, or
just reinstalled a fresh sid, or waited until the breakage "fixed itself".
The conclusion I have come to after all these years is that for a
workstation that doesn't have a mission-critical need for five-9's uptime,
sid/unstable is a good solution for staying up-to-date and happy, but it's
probably not suitable for a mission-critical box.

--
Kent West                    <")))><