-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Apt Question
UTC Time: May 23, 2017 11:54 AM
From: wool...@eeg.ccf.org

> If he
> is already running a sid linux kernel and some other core packages by
> switching to jessie he will be stuck with those packages almost indefinitely,

He's not running jessie, nor could he "switch to jessie" if he wanted
to. Once you've installed a single binary package from post-jessie,
there is no going back.

Doesn't it relate to how essential the package is for the system to continue
running? With kernels beeing completely different packages it only matters
which one you use to boot from. I don't think you can completely remove systemd
and reinstall it. But something non essential that would only run when you call
it you can completely remove and reinstall from jessie. But I agree that once
you have moved up a notch there are too many packages to replace without
crashing. I've never tried it but synaptics says you can select and force from
which repository to keep. I don't know whether it is possible to revert this
way, I'll be trying it soon if nobody says it doesn't work.

Likewise, once you have installed a single binary package from
post-stretch (e.g. sid), there is no going back.

I don't think this is completely true and always. I remember having something
that was flaky in testing and switched repositories, installed one from
unstable I think, it had the same problem, I didn't updgrade anything else,
completely removed, readjusted sources.list and reinstalled the current
package. But it was a package the system could live without. Maybe it just
happened that its dependencies in testing and unstable were the same.

(AK)