I do have gvfs installed.

Please explain why that would affect the smbclient command.

Tony

On 07/28/2017 10:48 AM, Joe wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jul 2017 08:53:56 -0700
tony mollica <t...@threedogs.net> wrote:

Hello.

Maybe a minor samba config problem but searches only show up some
very old stuff and that doesn't appear to rectify the problem.

Once, again, Debian Stretch with samba installed.  All I need is to
access a few files on Stretch from a win7 box, and that works.  What
I can't get to work is the smbclient command to view the status of
shares on Stretch.
smbclient -L localhost results in a password request, then entered,
and the result is invariably this:

smbclient -L localhost
Enter tjm2's password:

Connection to localhost failed (Error NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL)

I've tried different users and root with the same result.  Tried
adjusting the routing tables and using actual ip instead of
localhost, also with no improvement.

I'm overlooking something, but it's not clear to what that is.  Like
I said, the connection between boxes works just fine with no problems.

Do you have gvfs installed?