On Sat 15 Sep 2018 at 11:18:46 (-0400), Boyan Penkov wrote:
> > On Sep 15, 2018, at 05:58, Curt <cu...@free.fr> wrote:
> > On 2018-09-14, Glenn English <ghe2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I've looked in Aptitude for something installed -- there's a
> >> libsynctex installed, and I started to delete it. But Aptitude said it
> >> was a dependency of something that seems to have something to do with
> >> GNOME (my GUI is XFCE4, but I'm aware that several things bring in
> >> pieces of GNOME). I didn't delete it for fear of going to dependency
> >> hell.
> >
> > synctex is part of the 'texlive-extra-utils' package (at least it is on
> > Stretch).
>
> I do have this installed — similar to OP, ps -aux shows nothing...

Many of us do (and libsynctex1 with it) because it contains things
like pdfcrop, pdfjam etc, all very useful.

> > https://www.tug.org/TUGboat/tb29-3/tb93laurens.pdf
> >
> >> I've looked for something running in ps -- nothing.
> >>
> >> Crazy-making; it litters my screen. Anyone have a suggestion/explanation?

Find out which file is logging this, and tail it in a window with

$ tail -F /var/log/whatever…

Then see on what occasions each message is generated. "Several times
an hour" sounds like the frequency one might open a file for editing.
Or a PDF viewer.

If you find this is indeed the case, then I would look for something
in a startup file for that editor or viewer.

I don't claim to understand the methods being used in this example,
particularly as they are using dbus, but this looks like the sort
of thing that could potentially start spamming messages that are
misrouted to the console.

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/29813/setup-synctex-with-emacs

Neat trick. The reference given earlier in the thread mentions that
synctex hadn't then been implemented for luatex (a decade ago) and
I don't know whether it has been in the meantime. I'd only be
interested in it if it has.

Cheers,
David.