I am attempting to mount an LVM Logical Volume as root, but I am getting an error in the boot sequence when it attempts to mount the root filesystem.  The error is saying that it can not find /dev/block/254:15, which is the LV that I am trying to mount. Then it falls into a shell.

When I run 'ls /dev/block' it shows /dev/block/254:0, which is the swap volume (in the same LVM Volume Group as /dev/block/254:15), but does not show any of the other LVs.  If it can recognize the LVM swap volume, why does it not see the other LVs in the group?

Is there some way to get this to work?  I am trying to put everything on LVM so that I can use snapshots to get consistent backups of a running system.

Marc