On 10/10/20 7:42 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
I am attempting to mount an LVM Logical Volume as root, but I am getting an
error in the boot sequence when it attempts to mount the root filesystem.
The error is saying that it can not find /dev/block/254:15, which is the LV
that I am trying to mount. Then it falls into a shell.

When I run 'ls /dev/block' it shows /dev/block/254:0, which is the swap
volume (in the same LVM Volume Group as /dev/block/254:15), but does not
show any of the other LVs.  If it can recognize the LVM swap volume, why
does it not see the other LVs in the group?
Any chance you're inside the initramfs while this problem shows up?
I'd assume it's because the initramfs has only activated the swap and
root partitions (root for the obvious reason and swap to check for
a hibernation image).

Try `vgchange -ay` to activate the other volumes.

         Stefan

That did it.  I am assuming that the system was just in the process of changing from the initrc to the actual running system? But how do I get the boot sequence to activate the LVs automatically each time before attempting to mount the / filesystem?  I don't want to have to manually activate them each time I boot the system.

Marc