Reading this thread, remembering my annoyance with NetworkManager, I ran
across this article by RedHat's NetManager developer Thomas Haller. From
last year. Yes I suppose it's promotional, but he sorts thru some of the
high-level issues that software like it has to address.
https://blogs.gnome.org/thaller/2020/04/10/why-networkmanager/