On Mon, Jul 19, 2021, 8:02 AM Reco <recovery...@enotuniq.net> wrote:

>         Hi.
>
> Please do not top-post.
>
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 07:07:30AM -0500, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
> > Reading this thread, remembering my annoyance with NetworkManager, I ran
> > across this article by RedHat's NetManager developer Thomas Haller. From
> > last year. Yes I suppose it's promotional, but he sorts thru some of the
> > high-level issues that software like it has to address.
> > https://blogs.gnome.org/thaller/2020/04/10/why-networkmanager/

> NetworkManager works well on the phone,
>
> Sorry, what?
>
> > the server,
>
> Man's entitled to his option. Using a "stateful process" for a typical
> "static IP, one default gateway" server is an overkill, but the link
> contains "gnome.org", so this is expected.

It seems clear that NetworkManager like systemd was a response to
non-dedicated, transient network configuration of a portable device or
hands-off networking environment  (including physical layer). Naturally, we
needed to build an all-encompassing software world-view on top of that :-)
cause that's what we do :-)

> in a container,
>
> On the contrary, in a well-designed container any means of configuring
> the network from the inside are redundant at best. A good container
> starts with the network that's configured already, and cannot change a
> single bit of it while it's running.
>
> > on a notebook and on a workstation.
>
> Note the absence of "on a router" in that list.

Deities defend us.
My problem is the complete absence of thought shown by that list "server
notebook workstation".
I want to ask him: What is a use-case?

Also to point out that containers too have different use-cases, and he
seems to have done a mash-up again. You point-out one such case. I see at
least three: what you might call cloud-temp, on-prem-in-broadest-terms, and
human-at-workstation.