On Saturday, July 31, 2021 4:54 PM I wrote concerning firefox-esr:
> Neither translate.google.com nor images.google.com functions properly.

I have figured out the problem and solved it.

At some point I remembered that I have in place an old-fashioned way of
blocking sites.  In /etc/hosts, I have 68 entries of this sort:

127.0.0.1       ad.doubleclick.net

that redefine the URL of a pesky site to 127.0.0.1 (localhost).  Given a PC
at work that handles the Google sites well and a home machine that does not,
I compared the two /etc/hosts files.  The home (failing) machine had two
entries that the work (successful) machine did not:

127.0.0.1       gstatic.com
127.0.0.1       www.gstatic.com

I had added those in February, which is about when the failures began.  I
found that commenting out the second entry (www.gstatic.com) fixed my
problem, even if I left the first entry (gstatic.com) in place.

I also use a firefox add-on, Forget Me Not.  If I add *.gstatic.com to the
list of blocked sites, the Google sites still work.  This surprises me.  I
guess the /etc/hosts and Forget Me Not strategies must work at different
points.

Anyway, thanks to the three respondents for your replies.