On Mon 02 Aug 2021 at 07:51:55 (-0400), Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 02, 2021 at 07:41:03AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> > On 2021-08-02 at 07:25, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> >
> > > unicorn:~$ lsinitrd /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-8-amd64 | wc -l
> > > 1646
> > > unicorn:~$ lsinitramfs /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-8-amd64 | wc -l
> > > 1635
> > >
> > > Curious.
> >
> > Try a diff between the lsinit* outputs? I don't have dracut-core
> > installed, or I'd run the test myself just out of curiosity.
>
> I didn't have it either; I installed it specifically to test this thing.
> Unfortunately, installing it also brought in "cryptsetup" and related
> packages, which modified the initrd images.  Because of that, I don't
> recommend this test for anyone else.
>
> unicorn:~$ lsinitramfs -l /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-8-amd64 | head
> [ … ]
> unicorn:~$ lsinitrd /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-8-amd64 | head
> [ … ]
>
> At first glance, it looks like the difference in line count might be
> due to these headers and footers around each archive.
>
> But if I actually do
>
> diff -u <(lsinitramfs -l /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-8-amd64) <(lsinitrd
> /boot/initrd.img-5.10.0-8-amd64) | less
>
> there are a whole bunch of other differences.  Some archive member files
> are moved around, which I cannot understand (the biggest offenders are
> the 0-length hard link indicators such as usr/bin/umount).  I'm not sure
> if those are the *only* differences, because there's so much noise due
> to that.

You posted here their precise sizes before you installed dracut.
What's the size of your new initrd.img—has dracut done its job?

  Package: dracut-core
  Description-md5: 5df7edfd996e6db7e65cd0435ed243c3
  Description-en: dracut is an event driven initramfs infrastructure (core
tools)
   Unlike existing initramfs's, this is an attempt at having as little as
   possible hard-coded into the initramfs as possible.  The initramfs has
   (basically) one purpose in life -- getting the rootfs mounted so that
   we can transition to the real rootfs.  This is all driven off of
   device availability.  Therefore, instead of scripts hard-coded to do
   various things, we depend on udev to create device nodes for us and
   then when we have the rootfs's device node, we mount and carry on.
   Having the root on MD, LVM2, LUKS is supported as well as NFS, iSCSI,
   NBD and FCOE with dracut-network.

BTW I encrypt only /home and swap, and AFAICT my initrd.img doesn't
contain crypt stuff except for /usr/bin/cryptroot-unlock (5686B).
So I ignore a polite warning at every rebuild:

  update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-17-amd64
  cryptsetup: WARNING: The initramfs image may not contain cryptsetup binaries
      nor crypto modules. If that's on purpose, you may want to uninstall the
      'cryptsetup-initramfs' package in order to disable the cryptsetup
initramfs
      integration and avoid this warning.
  Log ended: 2021-07-20  10:07:25

Cheers,