On Mon 02 Aug 2021 at 08:04:25 (+0300), Teemu Likonen wrote:
> * 2021-08-01 16:00:24-0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:
>
> > Someone who knows what makes initrd images swell up, please step in
> > and advise. And no, it's not "try using a different compression
> > algorithm". It's something in the *content*.
>
> Initrd image is large when the pairing kernel is compiled with debugging
> symbols. I can't tell if this is the case with the original poster.

I always thought they were in the System.map file, which is sizeable
but not excessive as far as 500MB is concerned.

> Large unneeded files can be deleted with "rm". It's rough but pretty
> much the only option if the package manager can't work anymore on a full
> partition. I would use "rm" to delete the oldest not running kernel and
> initrd file and update the kernel with package manager. Then I would
> delete the old kernel and related packages with the package manager.

That seems like a dangerous strategy here. We've had two upgrades of
the kernel recently where the version number hasn't changed. So you'd
be overwriting your sole kernel with the upgrade, and totally reliant
on that process working perfectly.

Cheers,
David.