On Lu, 11 oct 21, 13:56:28, David Christensen wrote:
> On 10/11/21 13:39, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> > On Lu, 11 oct 21, 12:29:48, David Christensen wrote:
> > >
> > > Once Debian is running, I suggest that you connect the HDD, partition the
> > > HDD using GPT, create one partition using 95% of available space,
> > > initialize
> > > a LUKS container inside the partition, and create a ZFS pool with name
> > > "data" and with option "copies=2" using the encrypted mapper node.  The
> > > zpool will be mounted at "/data", will be able to store ~237 GB, and ZFS
> > > will be able to survive "one or a few" sectors going bad without any data
> > > loss (it is wise to scrub periodically).
> >
> > ZFS has native encryption now, any particular reason to prefer using a
> > LUKS container instead?
>
> I use LUKS because ZFS native encryption was not available OOTB the last
> time I looked on Debian.  What version of d-i has ZFS native encryption?

I wasn't aware of any kind of support for ZFS in d-i.

The Debian ZFS wiki page doesn't mention root-on-ZFS at all and the
official upstream instructions (for buster) are using debootstrap from a
live image for installation.

https://wiki.debian.org/ZFS
https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/Getting%20Started/Debian/Debian%20Buster%20Root%20on%20ZFS.html

Kind regards,