On Mon 25 Apr 2022 at 10:24:18 (-0400), Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 09:18:45AM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > On Mon 25 Apr 2022 at 12:04:55 (-0000), Curt wrote:
> > > I thought 'set use_envelope_from' took a boolean value (yes or no).
> >
> > Good proofreading, thanks. The fact that this mistake did not
> > produce an error message may be down to the other problem:
> > mutt's configuration file is not called ~./muttrc/muttrc, but
> > either ~./muttrc or  ~./mutt/muttrc (I'm not qualified to
> > comment on the next possibility, $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/mutt/muttrc,
> > which might have something to do with DEs).
>
> According to
> <https://specifications.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html>:
>
>   $XDG_CONFIG_HOME defines the base directory relative to which
>   user-specific configuration files should be stored. If $XDG_CONFIG_HOME
>   is either not set or empty, a default equal to $HOME/.config should
>   be used.
>
> That would make it ~/.config/mutt/muttrc unless that environment variable
> is set (which it never is in any sensible setup).

I suppose that makes my guess close, but no cigar. I have noticed
that more and more packages place their configuration in ~/.config,
which is tidier than scattering them in ~ itself, but hadn't
twigged the reasoning. Most man pages just present the fact as a
fait accompli: "the configuration is in ~/.config/foo". Only about
two dozen of them mention XDG at all on my system's selection.
(I haven't tried to correlate their mentioning XDG with where their
configuration is placed.)

> So, either the OP has placed the wrong lines in the wrong file, or they
> have misrepresented their setup.

Yes, a typo, but one that raises another issue: why no reaction
to mutt's error message when it parses their configuration file?

Cheers,
David.