On Wed, 2024-01-24 at 21:05 +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
> [...]
> GPT
>  ├─EFI
>  └─RAID
>     └─LVM (of course)
>
> Now, thanks to you, I know I can do:
>
> GPT
>  ┊  RAID
>  └───┤
>      ├─EFI
>      └─LVM
>
> It is rather ugly to have the same device be both a RAID with its
> superblock in the hole between GPT and first partition and the GPT in
> the hole before the RAID superblock, but it serves its purpose: the EFI
> partition is kept in sync over all devices.
>
> It still requires setting the non-volatile variables, though.

How do you make the BIOS read the EFI partition when it's on mdadm
RAID?

It seems you have to have an EFI partition directly, outside sofware
RAID, on each storage device, and that indeed raises the question how
you keep them up to date so you can still boot when a disk has failed.
It's a nasty problem.

I use hardware RAID to avoid this problem ...