On 2/5/24 16:48, Dan Ritter wrote:
David Christensen wrote:
Normally, I can cut and paste between Xfce desktop applications.

Enter a Zip Code of "12345", highlight the first result, copy it to the
clipboard, start Terminal, open a file with Vim, press "i" to enter insert
mode, and paste, sometimes I see what I copied to the clipboard and
sometimes I see nothing.

I am unable to determine if the problem is Firefox, Vim, or something else.

Are you aware that there are at least three 'clipboards' here?

X11 primary selection: this usually get filled by selecting text
in a terminal. It usually gets pasted by Button 2. In vim, this
is the "+ buffer.

X11 clipboard: this usually gets filled by ctrl-c or
ctrl-shift-c or a menu "Copy". It usually gets pasted by ctrl-v
or ctrl-shift-v or a menu "Paste". In vim, this is the "*
buffer.

Thank you for the reply.

I was aware of the X11 clipboard and interacting with it via Edit menus, context menus (right-click), Ctrl+C, Ctrl+X, Ctrl+V, Shift+Delete, Shift+Insert, etc..

I was aware of X11 select and paste via middle-click.

Please provide a URL that describes the Vim "+ and "* buffers, how to interact with them within Vim, how to interact with them from other apps, etc..

Vim can bypass a chunk of this by combining primary and
clipboard:

:set clipboard=unnamed,unnamedplus

I entered the above command into Vim, but am unsure what behavior or change in behavior I am supposed to see (?).

David