hw <h...@adminart.net> writes:

> On Mon, 2024-02-05 at 15:26 +0100, Loris Bennett wrote:
>> hw <h...@adminart.net> writes:

>> > We are stuck with it :(  Last time I checked, KDE isn't any better.
>> >
>> > With xmodmap, I was able to adjust the layout as needed.  With
>> > wayland, I can't do that anymore and I'm stuck with an US layout ---
>> > which my keyboard fortunately physically has --- because some keys on
>> > German keyboards are so badly placed and configured that I need to be
>> > able to change the layout if want to use a German keyboard with a
>> > German layout.
>>
>> Maybe I have misunderstood the problem, but I use Gnome with Wayland and
>> regularly switch between US and German layouts.  I just added the German
>> layout in the 'Keyboard' section of Gnome's Settings and switch with the
>> default shortcut of 'Super + space'.
>
> Yes, it's a misunderstanding: How can we change the keyboard layout?
>
> We can only pick or add another of the available layouts, but we can't
> change them.  If I were using a German keyboard, I could pick a German
> layout, and it would be a good starting point --- but I still won't be
> able to change the layout.  Some characters on a German keyboard (and
> layout) are placed very badly, and I need to change some of them for
> the keyboard to be usable.

OK, now I am with you.  Indeed, I have an HP EliteBook 840 G6 which, to
my mind insanely, has no 'insert' key, but does have 'call' and 'hang
up' telephone keys, which are of no use to me.  I have tried and failed
to remap them.  The keys produce two keycodes and I couldn't work out
how to map that to a single insert.

> And try to figure out how to press ^] on a German keyboard, for
> example, like telnet used to tell you.  It's no problem at all with an
> US keyboard without any modification.  With a German keyboard, you
> have to press something like AltGr+Shift+Strg+] ...  It took me like
> 30 years or so before I managed.  And what the hell is 'Strg' supposed
> to mean?

As many have pointed out, it is short for 'Steuerung', but I have met
many Germans who refer to this key as 'String'.  I am not sure why

--
This signature is currently under constuction.