On Mon, 2024-02-05 at 22:25 -0600, David Wright wrote:
> On Tue 06 Feb 2024 at 00:11:43 (+0100), hw wrote:
> [...]
> > How can it be so difficult to get basic things like that right?  It
> > still sucks because after more then 30 years, we still don't have a
> > good way to change the keyboard layouts!
>
> I presume you're now talking about wayland, though I don't think it's
> been around for 30 years.

I'm talking about wayland all the time; you brought Xorg up instead.

Keyboards are around for more than 30 years, and they have always been
troublesome.  I'm finding it amazing that there were no features added
over time, like the ability to actually have more keys and every
keyboard giving information about itself to the computer.  If displays
were like keyboards, we'd still be trying to figure out modelines
manually.

We're still trying to figure out keyboards manually.  Instead of
improvements, we now have come so far that we even can't do that at
all now.

> > [...]
> > Xorg doesn't seem to be maintained anymore and is on the way out.
> >
> > So how do you change the keyboard layout when using wayland?
>
> I've no idea. I don't seem to have noticed that X is on the way out.

It is.  Apparently nobody wants to maintain it anymore, and Fedora
seems to have plans to omit it entirely for next release (which is
like 4 months away).  And it makes perfect sense to omit it.

I'm sure others will follow.  It's only that an up to it's date Debian
is already outdated so badly that you can't even get an AMD graphics
card to work which was released a year ago.  Maybe that's why Debian
users haven't noticed yet.

Already 20 years ago Debian was so outdated that I had to run testing
even on servers, and that's one of the reasons why I'm very reluctant
to use it for servers now.  Unfortunately, that leaves no good
alternative for servers.