Hi everyone,

Basically I've the same issue described here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1180389/speaker-test-returns-all-6-channels-to-front-speakers

The speaker-test program is provided by the alsa-utils package. I'm using Debian 12 Bookworm, I've no ~/.asoundrc file. My /proc/asound/cards returns:

~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [SB             ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
                      HDA ATI SB at 0xfe400000 irq 16
 1 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                      HDA NVidia at 0xfe080000 irq 57

I've 5.1 speakers the LOGITECH Z906 audio system plugged to the PC via 3 jacks (left/right), (Center/Subwoofer), (Rear left/ Rear right).

Clementine ¹ audio player seems it works well, but I'm unsure that the sound go to the correct speaker.

The issue is that speaker-test doesn't play sound to the correct speaker. If I run:

~$ speaker-test -Dplug:surround51 -c6 -s3 -f75

speaker-test 1.2.8

Playback device is plug:surround51
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 6 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 64 to 349504
Period size range from 32 to 174752
Using max buffer size 349504
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 174752
was set buffer_size = 349504
  - Front Right

The sound comes from (Center), (Front right), (Rear left) and (Rear right) speakers instead (Front right) only. If I run:

~$ speaker-test -Dplug:surround51 -c6 -s6 -f75

speaker-test 1.2.8

Playback device is plug:surround51
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 6 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 64 to 349504
Period size range from 32 to 174752
Using max buffer size 349504
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 174752
was set buffer_size = 349504
  - LFE

I've no sound from the Subwoofer. Does anybody know how can I test the speakers of my 3D Dolby surround system? Please help.

¹ https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/clementine
--
Franco Martelli