Hi Alexandre,

On 07/05/24 at 11:56, Alexandre Rossi wrote:

My hypothesis: speaker-test outputs directly to ALSA (kernel) but ALSA redirects
to pulseaudio (the 99-pulse.conf file) and pulseaudio Output profile is stereo.
Therefore, pulseaudio downmixes 5.1 to stereo. That would explain why only
front-left and front-right output sound.

To confirm, you can either:
- move away that 99-pulse.conf file so that speaker-test use directly and only
   ALSA
- configure pulseaudio output profile for surround5.1 (you can use command line
   $ pacmd set-card-profile 0 output:output:analog-surround-51 or
   pavucontrol (graphical)

~# systemctl stop pulseaudio
Failed to stop pulseaudio.service: Unit pulseaudio.service not loaded.

pulseaudio is usually a *user* service and socket activated (starts
automatically
if some app wants to use it). To stop it, the following should work:
$ systemctl --user stop pulseaudio.socket  # stop the socket to prevent auto
start
$ systemctl --user stop pulseaudio.service # stop the daemon

I moved the 99-pulse.conf file into root directory, then rebooted but "speaker-test" does the same result of my first post. I think that PulseAudio is already configured for surround, see attachment for the output of "pacmd info" command. The two "systemctl" commands to stop PulseAudio worked, thank you very much it was a new thing for me.

I tried to boot Debian 12.5 in rescue-mode and I tested "speaker-test" but ditto, same result of my first post.

When I was in rescue-mode and trying to play sound in the console, this message appeared on the screen, I don't know whether it matters:

snd_hda_intel 0000:00:14.2: IRQ timing workaround is activated for card #0. Suggest a bigger bdl_pos_adj.

It's driving me utterly bonkers, maybe a hardware issue?

Lastly I've asked for support to the alsa-user mailing-list on SourceForge but I got no answer at the moment.

--
Franco Martelli