On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 10:48:06AM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> In a pure Condorcet system with a default option, lying about the
> acceptability of A *doesn't* help B.

    40 C A B
    30 A B C
    20 B C A

C defeats A 60:30, A defeats B 70:20, B defeats C 50:40; the weakest
defeat is dropped, C wins.  If the ABC voters switch to:

    30 B C A

then B wins -- lying about the acceptability of A *does* help B, even in a
pure Condorcet case (well, pure CpSSD -- although even in pure Condorcet,
B winning is probably preferable to no result).

Cheers,
aj

--
Anthony Towns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/>

  ``Dear Anthony Towns: [...] Congratulations --
        you are now certified as a Red Hat Certified Engineer!''