Micha Lenk writes ("Re: Please drop/replace the use of the term "diversity""):
> I support avoiding the term diversity in the context of this GR for
> the already mentioned good reasons. However, I would consider
> "alternative init systems" a better phrase than "multiple init
> systems" in this context (if that matters from a non-native
> speaker).

Thanks for your suggestion.

I think "alternative init systems" and "multiple init systems" have
the same normative meaning in this context.  (After all we are not
discussing running multiple init systems simultaneously in a single
Debian installation - even though some of our systems do support modes
which do this to various extents.)

But to me they have a difference in emphasis or connotation.
"Multiple init systems" puts the different software on a level
footing, at least in its own text; whereas "alternative init systems"
implicitly sees one as primary and the others as secondary.

Additionally, "multiple systems" implies more than two in stronger way
than "alternative systems".  This is also relevant since we have more
than two.

Cf "we support multiple text editors" vs "we support alternative text
editors".  Presumably the latter means "alternatives to ed, the
standard text editor" :-).

At least for Dmitry's option, I think "multiple" better reflects his
intent.

Ian.