So we have a very large spool folder with many timed out delivery
attempts and I will try to move some large msgs in a temporary folder
until tonight.
Ah, I see.

The overflow directory won't help here -- if you move the \IMail\spool\Q*.SMD files to the \IMail\spool\overflow directory, Declude Queue would try sending them immediately. If the E-mails can't be sent because of problems reaching the remote mailservers, Declude Queue won't be able to speed up the process.

Another problem is, that spooled files that are in
delivery (_[id].smd) can't be deleted or moved manualy.
That's intentional. If you could delete one of those files, it would prevent the E-mail from being delivered. If you could move it, then IMail wouldn't be able to properly process the file. What would be nice, though, is if IMail had a way of listing all the SMTP processes in memory and what they were working on, and allowed you to stop them.

Where can I read more about the overflow functionality? Can it be useful
to not only move to much msgs in the overflow folder but also if there
is to much data in the spool folder?
The overflow directory is designed to work automatically, so you shouldn't need to move files there. You can find out more information about it at http://www.declude.com/dq.htm .

In this case, you could move some of the Q*.SMD files to a temporary directory, and perhaps wait 8 hours or so and then move them back to the spool directory. Or, you could try changing the SMTP settings in IMail to retry E-mail every few hours, rather than the default of every 30 minutes.