-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of R. Scott Perry
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2003 9:55 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Declude.JunkMail] IMail v8.0 and Declude Jinkmail??

>Have you tested IMail v8.0 yet with Declude?

No -- as far as I know, the beta testing hasn't begun yet (although
Ipswitch does have it running on their own mailservers now).

>It has built-in anti-spam functionality from what I hear.
>Is this going to have an adverse effect on your product.

Well, "hear" is the key word here.  Does "hear" mean "full featured
anti-spam product bundled with IMail at no cost", "very basic anti-spam
functionality at high cost", etc?  Right now, I'm looking at a box for
IMail v6.0 that has a quote on the side "Stopped the spam dead cold."
:)

A year and a half ago, Ipswitch came out with IMail AntiVirus, and
Declude
has fared quite well.  We even have some people who pay for a year with
IMail AntiVirus, and switch to Declude before their year is up, because
of
problems where the mail delivery stops occasionally.  As you know, that
isn't an issue with Declude -- mail delivery won't stop with Declude.
For
mission critical mailservers, that's a big issue.

Also, it's important to remember that (aside from filtering/rules)
Ipswitch
doesn't have much anti-spam experience.  We started selling anti-spam
software over 5 years ago.  It takes a lot of time to develop anti-spam
software that works well.  For example, does the DNS engine that
Ipswitch
uses with IMail handle TXT records?

If you are correct that v8 will have built-in anti-spam functionality,
it
most likely won't be very full featured (if they aren't going to be
making
money off of it, it may end up like the built-in mailing list
functionality), so people will still need Declude JunkMail, whether or
not
they upgrade to v8.  If it is a separate add-on, it is likely that it
will
be similar to the situation now with AV software (a product with fewer
features at a high cost).

In any case, we've been through this before, and can do it again.  :)